On April 2, 2026 — the same day Trump was delivering a primetime address saying the Iran war was "nearing completion" — US forces bombed the B1 suspension bridge in the city of Karaj, west of Tehran. Approximately one hour later, as Iranian emergency crews were on the ground helping the wounded from the first strike, US forces struck the same location again. Iran's state media reported eight people killed and nearly 100 wounded. Iran is calling it a deliberate double-tap attack targeting rescue workers. Under international humanitarian law, that is a war crime.
What a Double-Tap Strike Is.
A "double-tap" strike is when a target is hit once, and then struck again shortly after — specifically timed to hit rescue workers, medical personnel, or emergency responders who arrive after the first explosion. It is a tactic designed to maximize casualties among people trying to help the initial victims. Under the Geneva Conventions and customary international humanitarian law, deliberately targeting medical and emergency personnel responding to a prior attack is prohibited and constitutes a war crime. The US has previously condemned other nations for this tactic.
Following the Karaj bridge strike, Iran published a list of major bridges across the Persian Gulf region it said could come under retaliatory strikes. Iran's targets include bridges in Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, and the King Fahd Causeway linking Saudi Arabia to Bahrain. Iran also announced drone and missile attacks on US-owned steel plants in the UAE, a weapons factory in Israel, and claimed an attack on a data center operated by Oracle in Dubai — which UAE officials denied.
Trump Said the War Was "Nearing Completion."
Trump said this in a primetime address on the same day US forces conducted the double-tap strike on the Karaj bridge. The simultaneous escalation — bombing civilian infrastructure, striking emergency responders, threatening power plants and desalination facilities — does not read as a war that is nearing completion. It reads as a war that is expanding. Iran's Foreign Minister has said Iran is prepared to fight for at least six months. Iran's parliament is formalizing fees for ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz, which remains effectively closed.
Strike the bridge. Wait for rescue workers. Strike again. Eight dead, nearly 100 wounded. Trump gave a speech the same night saying the war was almost over.
This Is Not an Isolated Incident.
Earlier in the week, Trump threatened in his primetime address to destroy Iran's electric generating plants and desalination infrastructure — threats international law experts described as open warnings to commit war crimes. The Karaj double-tap follows that pattern. We are now in week five of a war that was supposed to be over in six weeks, with 13 US troops dead, gas at $4 a gallon, the Army's top general fired mid-conflict, and an escalation pattern that international observers are increasingly describing in terms of violations of the laws of war.
Sources
- Democracy Now! — April 3 Headlines: US bombed B1 bridge in Karaj, then struck again about an hour later as emergency crews assisted wounded; Iran calls it a "double tap" strike; 8 killed, nearly 100 wounded. Iran announced list of regional bridges for retaliatory strikes.