On May 4, 2026, the United States military announced that two Navy guided-missile destroyers had entered the Persian Gulf and that two U.S.-flagged merchant ships had successfully transited the Strait of Hormuz. This is the waterway that usually carries a fifth of the world’s seaborne oil and gas but has been effectively blocked for two months as a result of the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran. Trump called the operation “Project Freedom.” Iran’s response: any foreign armed forces approaching the Strait of Hormuz will be attacked.
What Happened.
U.S. Central Command said its forces were “supporting President Donald Trump’s ‘Project Freedom,’” which aims to escort commercial ships stranded in the Gulf and enforce a blockade of Iranian ports. Two U.S.-flagged merchant vessels crossed through the Strait as the destroyers operated in the Gulf. CENTCOM said: “American forces are actively assisting efforts to restore transit for commercial shipping.”
Earlier that day, Tehran said it had forced a U.S. warship to turn back from the Strait of Hormuz with a “swift and decisive warning.” Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency reported that two missiles had hit the ship near the Iranian port of Jask. CENTCOM denied both claims — no ship was turned back, no missiles hit anything. Iran’s navy described the U.S. vessels as “American-Zionist” warships. The rhetoric from both sides is the kind that precedes shooting.
“We warn that any foreign armed forces, especially the aggressive U.S. Army, will be attacked if they intend to approach and enter the Strait of Hormuz.” — Iran’s unified command, May 4, 2026
The Stakes Are Existential.
The Strait of Hormuz is 21 miles wide at its narrowest point. Through it passes roughly 20% of the world’s oil supply. Iran has been blocking nearly all non-Iranian shipping since the war began in February, sending oil prices soaring by more than 50%. The global economic impact has been catastrophic — gas prices in the U.S. have spiked, supply chains are disrupted, and the European economy is being squeezed from both the oil shock and Trump’s tariff threats.
Trump posted on Truth Social: “We have told these Countries that we will guide their Ships safely out of these restricted Waterways, so that they can freely and ably get on with their business.” Iran’s response to commercial operators was blunt: “We have repeatedly said the security of the Strait of Hormuz is in our hands and that the safe passage of vessels needs to be coordinated with the armed forces.” Two nuclear powers — one declared, one threshold — are now conducting competing naval operations in the same 21-mile-wide channel, each claiming authority over who gets to pass.
Three Days After the War Was “Terminated.”
On May 1, Trump told Congress that hostilities with Iran had “terminated.” Three days later, the U.S. Navy is running destroyers through Iranian-claimed waters while Iran threatens to fire on them. The ceasefire that Trump cited as evidence of “termination” — the one he used to dodge the War Powers deadline — is hanging by a thread. If Iran fires on a U.S. warship, or if the U.S. fires on an Iranian vessel, the ceasefire collapses and the 60-day clock becomes academic. Trump will be fighting a hot war without congressional authorization, having just told Congress the war was over.
CENTCOM committed 15,000 military personnel and more than 100 land- and sea-based aircraft to Project Freedom. The Joint Maritime Information Center told vessel operators that the U.S. had “established an enhanced security area to support Strait of Hormuz transits.” It’s not clear how long this will continue, how many ships will be escorted, or what happens when Iran tests the escort with more than rhetoric. What is clear is that this is an escalation. A significant one. In a war that the president just told Congress is over.
Forces: 15,000 military personnel, 100+ land- and sea-based aircraft, warships, drones. Mission: Escort commercial ships out of the Gulf, enforce blockade of Iranian ports. Status: Two destroyers in the Gulf, two merchant ships transited the Strait on May 4. Iran’s response: Claims to have turned back a U.S. warship (denied by CENTCOM), threatens attack on any foreign military forces. Impact: Oil prices up 50%+ since war began. Strait has been blocked to non-Iranian shipping for ~2 months.
Sources.
- gCaptain/Reuters: U.S. Secures First US-Flagged Ships Through Hormuz as Iran Warns of Attack — May 4, 2026. Two guided-missile destroyers entered Gulf; two merchant ships transited Strait; Iran claims to have forced warship back; CENTCOM denial; Iran’s missile claim denied; “Project Freedom” details; 15,000 personnel, 100+ aircraft.
- Axios: Trump launches ‘Project Freedom’ in Strait of Hormuz — May 4, 2026. Barak Ravid reporting; may not include naval escorts for all ships; CENTCOM operational details; Iran unified command warning; commercial shipping implications.
- Politico: Trump tells Congress the Iran war has ‘terminated’ — May 1, 2026. Context: Trump declared war “terminated” three days before Project Freedom launched. Ceasefire argument. War Powers deadline dodge. Collins broke ranks. Directly contradicts “terminated” claim.